15 March 2009

The Central Limit Theorem

I was accused of normality tonight. I'm not talking about statistical normality, the kind that invokes the central limit theorem (CLT). Nobody has ever intentionally invoked the CLT on me and made some assumption that I come from a normal distribution. But tonight, I was called normal. I'm not sure how well I jive with that, and here's why:

  • I like statistics. Some would call this masochistic.
  • Some would also call me an emotional masochist, whatever that means.
  • Any type of masochistic behavior is not normal. Though if you looked at the population of masochists in the world, they may follow a normal curve. Again, CLT.
  • And again, not normal.
  • I made fun of a girl named Rachel today on the plane. No, no, I didn't know her. She sat next to me and tried to touch the butt of the guy on the other side of her. Then she couldn't get her seat belt on...I told her it would easier to get it to work without a phone in her hand. She then played Labyrinth on my iPod and we watched an episode of Arrested Development. She told me that she liked my fohawk-glasses-sport coat look, to add her as a friend on FB, asked if it was going to be awkward for me to meet her boyfriend as we walked together to the baggage claim, and then introduced me to said bf.
  • I like being awkward, awkward situations, making others feel awkward, and the word "awkward."
  • I argued with Micah about the word random for 60 minutes on the way home from the airport. I'm still right, btw.
  • I'm writing a list of reasons that I'm not normal on a very public blog.
  • I almost forgot an "l" in that last sentence. Can you guess where?
  • I write things like the last item on the list and then reference it from this item.
  • I hate [most] condiments, yet I dip my [plain] cheeseburgers in ice cream.
  • I didn't get mad at the dumb H-ers at Southwest Airlines for losing my guitar. A normal person would probably freak.
  • I called them dumb H-ers in my head.
  • This list is getting pretty long, but I can think of one million more reasons that I'm not normal. If you want the list in its entirety, I'll pick up a [fruit] pizza, maybe a shake and a salad from Cafe Rio, and we'll chill. And by chill, I mean that I'll list off one-by-one the rest of the exhaustive list...ad nauseam.
Peace.


PS Does anybody see anything funny about this picture? OK, I know that what he wrote is weird, but can you notice anything else...out of place?

7 wisecrack(s):

Anonymous said...

hey! the thing scotty wrote is on my page. and what i noticed was the "ihop" part. it made me way hungry

Kendall Laws said...

Jason Jason Jason.... I agree with most of the exhaustive list above. I agree so much in fact that I have no desire to hear the rest of said list. You are most definatly not normal

liNdsEYloO said...

how can it be 00:46 TOMORROW??

Chess said...

I know why you're not normal. You hate Orem. What normal person hates Orem? Haha! ;)

Levi Dean said...

You had me at CLT, I read the title and though that I couldn't wait to read this.

Why on earth would some one call you normal? Do they even know you? Normal is an insult to guys like us and guys like Micah who is different from guys like us and yet still tops the coolness chart.

Stats question? In stats is normal a range or a point? You standardize the data and I would say the mean is the point of normal and you use standard deviations to group percents in either direction from the center. Some someone could fit into the normal "group" (one standard deviation from the mean) and still not be the mean/normal, correct? I really need to take several stats classes it's really growing on me. Is that normal?

How was meeting Rachel's bf? Sounds like quite an adventure.

I'm guessing the 'i' was in public.

If I were in Utah I'd totally sit down and discuss your abnormality with you, and then we would have to watch the Adams family, movie or series take your pick.

Scotty has some how learned how to manipulate time or time travel and is leaving you messages from the future. What is weirder is that FB knows about it and accepts the fact. Can you get him to teach us?

Levi Dean said...

I just realized I make really really long comment post on many of your blogs post.

Jalene said...

They lost your guitar? That is so sad!

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall