04 September 2008

I Need Another Diet Dr. Pepper With Cherry Syrup

I walked into the business building on the first day of class and wanted to vomit.  As I have said, I'm working on my Master's degree in statistics, meaning that I am very much a part of the department of Mathematics and Statistics here at Utah State University.  Unfortunately, our department is not valued enough so we have no actual building where our classes are held.  Math/Stat classes are taught in pretty much every building on campus, from the ESLC to the FAV, and because of this, I have to enter the tallest building in Cache Valley, o sea the business building.  


I don't really understand why the math department isn't valued higher than it is.  Almost every degree here requires at least some math.  It seems to be the most hated subject in America, yet it is the most core and fundamental part of a lot of fields.  So why is it that the college of business gets so much hype from the university when, without math, you have no business degrees.  We're shut away in the shadow of the business building in Lund Hall, and anyone who has entered this bomb shelter can attest to the fact that it's about to fall apart.  
 
So rumor has it that they are going to build a new building for the college of business.  This is one of the reasons that I wanted to vomit upon entering the current business building.  It has been completely remodeled (and to be honest, it looks terrible--the other reason I wanted to vomit).  I don't understand why they spent a bunch of money to remodel the place when there's going to be a new one constructed.

I could go on with my rant, but it's beginning to feel a little like poor me or I guess poor us would be more appropriate.  I guess I'm just sick of the whole attitude that most people have towards math, yet it is such a core part of so many fields.  I think a lot people just need to be a little more educated (and I'm not excluding myself in this!).

I think I'm going to finish this post with a funny picture.  Tell me this isn't the ugliest face you've ever seen!!!


I'm out!  ;)

3 wisecrack(s):

Paul Harris said...

I like math. I hate genetics, and business majors are idiots. You deserve better my friend.

Colette said...

I am impressed that you can shrink your chin back into your neck so thoroughly. That is quite the picture.
Oh - and I agree.

Christensen's said...

dont keep your face like that or it will end up staying that way permanently!! J/K- thats not true.. nice pic!

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall