07 August 2008

Nerds, Geeks, and Dweebs

I learned the difference between hotels and motels this week. Now you may not think that this is very impressive; alas, it is very probable that you (and yes, I do mean you and not the proverbial you we all know and love so well) are ignorant to the true difference between the two. Upon learning the truth, I began to reminisce about a similar event. I went out with a girl one time...a long time ago. I was extremely annoyed with the dumb girl from the very start. We went to a haunted house, and it wasn't too bad...until she brought up that she had just learned the difference between jam and jelly, a fact that she was indeed proud of. Keep in mind, we had just graduated from high school, and she is just learning (redundancy alert: she was proud of this!) that jam has seeds in it... I honestly get so frustrated just thinking about this girl. She earned herself the nickname jam and jelly girl (very imaginative, I know), and I refer to her as such every time I tell the story.

Now that I think about it, this has nothing to do with my eye-opener of the week--you know, the difference between hotels and motels. In fact, I'm not even sure why I brought it up. Moving right along, I got back from Denver and JSM today. I'm not going to be dishonest here and say that I loved it, for I have no reason to lie. I didn't love it. The lectures I went to were interesting enough, but I would be lying if I said I got something out of it. I didn't.

I did, however, get something out of sitting, waiting for my uncle to pick me up for dinner. As I was sitting, waiting for my uncle to pick me up for dinner, and I was sitting there on this bench, a [nice] man came and sat down next to me. I was sitting. He asked if I was there for the science-fiction convention. I chuckled and said no (yet secretly in my heart I yearned to be a part of such a cool gathering). I said I was there for JSM. He proceeded to tell me his story about whatever his story was that he proceeded to tell--I must not have been paying attention. Somewhere along the line he asked me something about his convention. I must have understood because I told him that I knew of two conventions: a John Deere convention (that I also yearned to be a part of) and the statistical one that I had been attending. He said, "I don't mean to be prejudice, but is that why all of these Asians are here?" I wasn't exactly sure how to respond, so I just said, "Yeah, we're all a bit nerdy I guess." He then went on to tell me the difference between nerds, geeks and dweebs. I think he was calling me all three, which I have to agree with.

Notes (what would this post be without me complaining about something):
  • If you just learned the difference between jam and jelly, don't try to impress your date with this new found knowledge.
  • Hang up the phone and drive!
  • Seriously, on the drive home, at least 1 our of 3 people were talking on their cell phones, and about half of which shouldn't even be driving in the first place.
  • I know how to count...I am a statistician...
  • Nerd: one who is focused on one subject, normally in academics.
  • Geek: one who is obsessed with something...geeky, i.e. Star Trek, X-Files, etc.
  • Dweeb: I actually couldn't make out his definition for this one. He mumbled.
  • Hotel: Picture your favorite hotel.
  • Motel: Doors on outside, facing parking lot. Literally means motor hotel.
The end.

4 wisecrack(s):

jill said...

So which do you consider yourself? I know I am a geek...

Leon said...

I'm all 3!!!

Paul Harris said...

Did you know in brazil motels are whore houses?

Sarah said...

So wait, I'm still confused. You were sitting? Sitting on a bench. Sitting and waiting for your uncle?

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall