22 June 2010

Mountain Dew Challenge

I promised to keep you updated (followers, people who actually care about me, and the rest of you) on how the Mountain Dew challenge is going. For those of you just joining us, I was challenged to celebrate the arrival of the iPhone 4 by drinking 24 cans of Dew in 24 hours. Sounds easy enough, right? I will now begin my report.

I prepped by not eating anything past 12:30 pm yesterday, and not having a Dew past 8:00 pm. That allowed me some decent rest and a completely empty stomach for today. Starting just past noon today, and accompanied by a smoked brat and the best beans one can buy in the midwest, I began.

Feelin' pumped and ready to go! You can tell, can't you?

Just kickin' back another'n. This is going to be easy.

Just before a 1.5 hr teleconference. Yes, that is a Ninja Turtles buckle. Yes, I did make a break for the bathroom the second it was over.

Still going strong before number 4, though I'm feeling a little full. It's now about 3:00 pm. I've just been informed that Dew has 55 mg caffeine per can X 24 cans = 1,320 mg caffeine.

Starting number 5! Already dreading having to work out after work.

A quarter (0.25) of the way there once I finish this one. Not sure how I just walked/ran 2 miles, but I'm feeling OK. I've easily had this much caffeine in my system before.

Trying to engulf the entire can.

Jean-Luc and I are homies.

Starting to feel the caffeine AND sugar. Kind of want to extract my entrails at this point. This is slightly harder than I thought!

Laughing uncontrollably in my tie-dye. Heart rate monitored at a steady 102 bpm.

Number 11 needs to be stabbed. But will you look at my beautiful hair!

Feeling irritable. Halfway.

This would be a lot more fun with more people.

Notice the screen. I said NOTICE IT!

Dreading number 15. Not at all tired. I could probably run a marathon in 40 minutes flat with the energy I'm building up. That's a lie.

Empty polaroid magnets. Such is my life. Although I shoot at thee, number 16, I still love thee. The citrusy flavor, the jolt of caffeine entering into my bloodstream, this I-haven't-eaten-anything-since-noon-yet-I'm-unbelievable-full-and-probably-dehydrated feeling. I should probably stop before you think I'm weird.

Well what else would I be doing? Honestly.

Fell asleep, woke up an hour later, didn't care enough to write "18" any darker, nor comb my hair, nor had I any desire to drink that can in my hand. But I did, oh yes, YOU, I did. Only 6 more to go by noon.

Starting out the day strong after only sleeping a maximum of 3.23 hours. Blah.

I was caught. Or maybe I was hot and the cool can on my face was quite refreshing. Either way, my hotness is not in question.

Hair looking quite delightful today. What's it to you, anyway?

"I don't want to drink you," he proclaimed, as if that was news to others around him.

So. Close. Second to last can!

My iPhone 4 showed up at 11:15. Becky wouldn't let me have it until I finished can 24. So I chugged it. This is me just before the chug is to take place, and you can tell I'm excited because my hands are in the air and I'm smiling.

And here is the moment you have all been waiting for. Did our hero, being me, because I am the hero today, and everyday, complete his challenge? The new world record for consumption of Mountain Dew in a 24-hour period goes to our very own Leon. Video.



You can click the video itself to bring it up in YouTube to get fullscreen, since it is slightly cut off on the right. And you needn't concern yourself with all that is said, unless you want to. Not closed-captioned. Peaceful music. Lovely.

Notes:
  • These notes will be redundant to those paying attention
  • World record: most Mountain Dew consumed in a 24-hour period.
  • If you happen to find a higher record, inform me in the comments section.
  • If you happen to break my record, you are crazy.
  • Sugar consumed: just over 5.5 cups.
  • Caffeine consumed: 1,320 mg.
  • Still feeling nauseated.
I would like to thank those of you who offered support for your support, and for those of you that didn't offer support, shame on you.

13 wisecrack(s):

Shane said...

i love you jason haha the last picture is hilarious. as is the first.

Chess said...

I'm praying for your li'l heart! Also, last pic kills me! Love you buddy! :-)

Spratt said...

I can't tell what is significant about the screen in the last pic. Also, was that heart rate your resting heart rate? That's pretty scary because that is literally double my resting heart rate... I hope all that caffeine doesn't kill you.

Leon said...

Yes, but my heart rate has slowed. Normal is between 60-100, so says the interweb. Glad you found the zoom!

Chess, thanks. Love ya too!

And you, Shaney.

Spratt said...

Ok, I just realized that you can zoom in on the pictures. Once zoomed I could see that the screen was an iPhone 4 page...

Unknown said...

You got this!!! Have u figured out how many ounces yet? Are u close to the world record?

.Hailey. said...

Jason, this is completely awesome and totally your style! haha I'm not surprised one bit...might as well get the world record, I mean I know how much you love mountain dew! I hope you rock it...and good luck finishing...Can't wait to see about how the end of this journey goes. I hope you make it out without any awful health side effects! You are awesome!

Colette said...

I am glad that you were successful - although, I never doubted it!
Also, is that a Pokemon background on your computer at work? If so, that is awesome!

Peeser said...

I'm impressed. Not surprised- I knew you'd do it, no matter what. Still, it is an impressive feat. And by "impressive," I also mean slightly disgusting... (but I'd say that no matter what kind of soda you had drunk).

Congratulations. I guess I'm glad you didn't die/explode/have a heart attack/pass out... (but then I think of all the headlines you could have made had any of the aforementioned effects taken place, and I'm left feeling a little disappointed...)

Enjoy your new iPhone!

(Btw- what are you going to do with your old iPhone? Are you going to try to sell it, or anything like that? I'm just curious, mind you.)

Robin said...

Congrats! Time to detox?

Leon said...

Thanks, Peeser. We'll talk Sunday.

Thanks, Robin! And yes. But I don't know how. :/

Thanks, Hailey! You are also awesome!

Thanks, Colio!! And yes, it is. PiiikkkaaaaaCHUUUUU!!! Still a little hyper.

Thanks, Mike! Bam! World record.

Chess said...

You did it! Wow. Can't believe it. Actually, I can. I just don't want to. :-)

Spratt said...

Good job Jason, I knew you could do it. Now I'm looking forward to an upcoming blog on your new iPhone 4. I'm really jealous, it looks amazing. Also, let us know when the awards ceremony from Guinness will be.

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall