19 June 2010

The Challenge

I never back down from a challenge. Well, sometimes I don't. Allow me to asplain:


In order to properly celebrate the release of the iPhone 4, this guy named Mike challenged me to drink 24 cans of Mountain Dew in 24 hours starting next Wednesday at noon, and ending, clearly, the next day, Thursday, the 24th of June, 2010, at noon. Let's see you form a sentence with that many commas!

The rules:
  • Drink 24 cans of Mountain Dew in 24 hours
  • Any can of Mountain Dew will do, as long as it's a can of Mountain Dew
  • I have 24 hours to complete the challenge, which is to drink, on average, one can of Mountain Dew per hour
  • Start at noon on Wednesday, June 23, 2010, and end at noon the next day, which is effectively 24 hours
If you're still asking yourself questions on the details of the challenge, see the list of FAQs below.

I'll need a good way to document this. Basically, it will be on the honor system, so in order to prove that I actually did it, I was thinking about snapping a photo of me opening or drinking each can, and then writing about my mood on the internet. Here. Any thoughts?

FAQs:
Q: 24 cans of Mountain Dew in 24 hours? Are you crazy? What are the terms of the challenge?
A: Yes. Mostly. In his own words, "If you win, you get to keep your iPhone. If you lose, well, looks like I'm switching over to AT&T."

Q: What type of liquid will work for the challenge?
A: Mountain Dew only, all varieties.

Q: How much (i.e. quantity) will be consumed?
A: 24 cans.

Q: How long will be allotted to complete the challenge?
A: 24 hours.

Q: This Leon character seems intriguing. Where can I meet such an amazing guy?
A: All questions must be submitted in writing.


THIS JUST IN!!!!!!!

Found this here today:

Q: What is the world record for drinking Mountain Dew?
A: The largest instance of a single-day consumption I can find is 6.2 liters. That can't be healthy!

Calculations.
2 liters = 67.6 ounces
6.2 liters = 209.56 ounces
1 can = 12 ounces
24 cans = 288 ounces (!!!)

So, according to the nice ChaCha folks, if successful (and I will be) I will hold the world record for consumption of Mountain Dew! That's gotta count for something.

14 wisecrack(s):

Peeser said...

And just how does drinking 24 cans of Mountain Dew in 24 hours make for a "proper" celebration of the release of the iPhone 4?

(And I'm 98% certain you don't need the comma after "June" and before "2010" simply because you put the day of the month *before* the name of the month, thus eliminating the need to separate the day from the year. It's still an impressive number of legitimate commas, though.)

Spratt said...

Somehow I don't think you will be getting much sleep that night. Actually, after that much caffeine, I wonder if you will be sleeping at all for the remainder of June.

p.s. The iPhone 4 looks sweet!

Chess said...

In each picture, you'll have to include a close-up of the time on your old iPhone, in order to legitimize each hour. For all we know, you'll snap 24 pictures of the same can in a different position. ;-)

Also, this can't be healthy. Haha.

Leon said...

Question is, Peeser....well 2 questions. 1) From whence did Peeser arise? 2) How can it NOT make a "proper" celebration? Answer those and you got yourself a stew goin'!

Robby, caffeine only puts me to sleep. I thought you knew this.

Great idea, Chess! Just have to figure out how to take the picture if my old iPhone is in the picture? I'm sure I'll get it all straightened out.

Peeser said...

Leon:

1) It's taken you this long to actually ask about "Peeser"? To be fair, it's taken me this long to ask, from whence did "Leon" arise?

2) I'm not saying drinking Mountain Dew is NOT a proper celebration... I just wondered if there was a bizarre and obscure connection between the two- you know, maybe the Pepsi corporation actually owns Apple (or vice versa), or maybe by drinking Mountain Dew in the 24 hours before purchasing an iPhone releases all the untapped superpowers of your soul, or maybe you just like Mountain Dew and you like iPhones and are thus linking them together in celebration...

Speaking of iPhones, do you know anyone with an iPhone they want to sell? I'm just curious is all.

Leon said...

I've thought about asking you before now. Every time you comment, actually. I think I wrote a post once about where Leon came from.... I'll find it for you.

And yes, I DO know someone who wants to sell their iPhone! Does that satisfy your curiosity?

Peeser said...

Hmmmm.... do you know how I could possibly get ahold of said person with iPhone for sale? Not for any reason in particular, mind you.

Chess said...

Are you telling me you don't have a regular camera? Plus, I know you have a Mac, so use Photo Booth! :-)

Colette said...

Wow, I find this crazy - yet at the same time it all makes sense!

Anonymous said...

Please tell me you're informing Guinness. AND, furthermore, please don't die from too much caffeine (yes, it can happen). I want to at least meet you first...like, legitimately.

Spratt said...

Chess is right! I'm sure you have the ability to take a picture of your iPhone either with your regular camera, or your dang Macbook.
Secondly, how the heck have you and miss Hess not actually met in person? You know tons of the same people, and you must have been in the same city on several occasions...
If ever there was a good reason for you to come back to Utah for a visit, that would be it. :)

Levi Dean said...

Before noon on Wednesday have your dude mark each can with sharpie. Then bring him in the cans as proof.

I bet I can do it.

Levi Dean said...

So as I was clicking submit for the second time I realized that it says you moderate comments. Ha, is all I have to say.

Levi Dean said...

Wednesday morning have your dude take a sharpie to 24 cans of Dew and then return all of them as evidence. That's harder to fake than a photo.

http://www.energyfiend.com/death-by-caffeine
It will take more then 24 cans to kill you. But I'd still spread them out a bit. Or you suffer from an irregular or rapid heart beat. And I wouldn't exercise that day.
And drink plenty of other fluid, it might help with the hang over. Remember the Suicide Sherbet?

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall