16 February 2010

I Took That Promise. Will You?

I'll be honest with you guys for a few moments. It may even be presumed that I will be completely honest for the remainder of this post. A few months ago, I may have bragged about losing a little weight. In fact, last year I lost a lot of weight. It felt good.


Here's where the honesty kicks in: I had a hard time regulating my diet shortly after moving to Columbia. Let's just say that I may have put on a few of those pounds I had lost. I told myself over and over and over and over again that I was going to get back on the healthy kick, to get back to the very strict diet I kept myself on. I told myself that in November. Then again in December. Near January 1st, I said, "Self, you need to get back on the healthy kick from whence you came. Starting January 1st."

"That ought to do it," I thought back.

Another month and a week passed by. I could see my sister's wedding in the forthright future, realizing without doubt that forthright is not the adjective I was seeking to use in this sentence. In feigning brains, sometimes you have to take one for the team and risk looking awkwardly stupid. This is getting awkwardly stupid.

"Well, self, what are you going to do?" I asked myself on the morning of February 4th. "You need to find some motivation!"

Where did I turn? The interweb. To be honest (still), I didn't look for any motivation on the interweb. I went to fb and Twitter, back to fb, checked out a few blogs, thought about writing one (which frequently happens), didn't write one (which occurs with nearly the same frequency), and finally ended up here. Go there and read the post, unless you already have or are the author. You will most likely begin to realize what a curious, almost supernaturalistic (which is a word, according to the lack of squiggly red beneath it) coincidence it was. I took that promise.

Two more weeks passed by.

"Dimwit! (I had ceased referring to myself as self and went with something a little more provocative and invasive. Again two adjectives completely unrelated to the noun they modify.) You big dumb. Get your face into gear! [slant face]" This inner-monologue took place today about 4:13 pm (16:13) upon entering the local Hyvee to make some food purchases. Here is what I bought (keep in mind that I had previously thrown almost everything out in my ice box as it had all gone bad, which means only one thing. Fast food.):
  • Frozen brocoli
  • Frozen spinach
  • High-fiber oatmeal
  • Extra fiber wheat bread
  • Organic almond milk
  • Fresh from the farm skim milk
  • Fat free yogurts
  • Shredded cheese (eek!)
  • Baby carrots
  • Bananas
  • Apples
  • Potatoes
  • Grapes
  • Celery
  • Frozen string and wax beans with carrots
Nothing too exciting. I have some whole wheat pasta in the cupboard. I have some almond butter in the other cupboard. I just got deja vu.

"That's not enough. If you're going back on the WJO (Winter June Oaktree, name modified for coolness) diet, you also need to get your exercise in."

Went running. First time in 2 (five) months. I'm dead. It feels good.

So there it is, folks. The [re]start of the [re]new[ed] me. Not sure what I meant by that sentence or what to say to end this post. How about this?

Stop.

8 wisecrack(s):

Unknown said...

other types of exercise:

Hiking
Bow Hunting
Inverted Yoga
Playing with cats

Chess said...

I got skinny too last summer, but I've kinda gained it back a little. :( So getting back in shape is on my agenda too! Good luck, I know you can do it! :)

Spratt said...

Lindsay's post has some really good suggestions in it. It actually really reminded me of an article I read last summer that prompted my change of behavior to drop almost 30 pounds. It was just an article on MSN about the habits of naturally thin people. Here is a link:

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100218116&gt1=31036

Perhaps it will help you as much as it helped me.

Tamara said...

So.....I think that is just marvelous of you! Good job! Que guay! Que bien! Que magnifico! And how about a thumbs up or two to add to the congrat-you-ma-lay-tions!!!! ha ha ha (and yes, that's a word, too!)

Hang in there, buddy. You'll do fine. Those skinny jeans are calling your name.....

Tasha said...

Hey I miss those runs we had in the early mornings. Good Luck!! And can't wait to see you in a couple of weeks for the wedding.

Colette said...

Sadly enough I was on the track to good food, good exercise, and good weight loss . . . until Little Rock. But I too have a sister's wedding to prep for. So I too shall get back on the horse!
Also, I would just like you to know that I take one for the team and stick words were they don't belong ALL the time!

Anonymous said...

Jason,
Seems that both of us are having a difficult time with the "new" self we had hoped to create. I'm back to salsa for dinner and other vices. Good luck with your resolution. Maybe I should follow your example. You're a great man.
Nemo

Anonymous said...

Way to take it on, The Bell. You are inspiring! Thank you :)

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall