25 June 2009

What's on your mind, Facebook?

Consistently I get asked the infamous question "What's on your mind?" This happens every time I get on Facebook (see the definition for stalkbook (definition 2, to be more precise) for more information), which, I'm ashamed to admit, happens a few times a day. And define a few to be greater than or equal to 50.

Today, when posed the question, I responded:

...............................!

Exactly what this means is hard to describe. During moments in the earlier games (I-IX) of the wonderful game-series Final Fantasy (the ones before voices were implemented), when asked a question, a character will respond "............" as if to say, "Well crap, I have something important to tell you, but I either lack the tact or the ability to articulate which impedes me from doing so, or I'm too scared to tell you because you may reject me." This is especially true with Squall Leonhart (Final Fantasy XIII, and goes by the pseudonym Leon in the Kingdom Hearts series). His inner monologue, a different color of text than his actual voice, are quite deep and meaningful, but all that escapes his tongue through most of the story is "................"


Squall Leonhart

I had a conversation with a good friend last night that has left me deep in thought. The rhetorical question posed is a modified version of the one Facebook asks its users every day. With respect to relationships in general, "what is on your mind?" To open up in such a way requires a bit of tact, the ability to articulate well, an overall lack of fear as to what the response will be, and above all requires confidence. And so I said to her, "I lie about not really liking someone that could be exactly what I'm looking for. It doesn't make much sense. [Opening up] hurts more each time. Is it better to chance that pain or to live with the emotional roller coaster of holding it in?" Her response, "The pain. Hearts can heal, but my head can't take regret."

Back to Squall. There is a girl named Rinoa who tries through a good part of the game to get him to open up. She gets so frustrated at one point with his ".............."and freaks out a little. He just doesn't get it. He doesn't trust her. He doesn't trust his own feelings. It's obvious that she likes him. She practically throws herself at him, yet he doesn't take a chance. At one point, when she is floating aimlessly and helplessly through space, he realizes it's time for him to man up, go out there and save her, and by doing so, let her know how he really feels. I mean, the guy is in love with her. So they aim him, foot attached to a cord, at her and he catches her. And they hug. Well, obviously they can't kiss because of the space helmets! But it's really touching, and Squall has no problem opening up from then on. She now knows how he feels (because he risked his life to save hers), she feels the same way for him, and his fear of opening up to her fades away.

After saving Rinoa from the woes of space

There are 3 options:
  1. Take a chance. Open up. Tell someone how you really feel. Get hurt. Bad. Get over it in 3 years.
  2. Take a chance. Open up. Tell someone how you really feel. They feel the same way. Everything works out. End up happy.
  3. Don't take a chance. Go mental because of anxiety, regret, etc. Be more miserable than option 1 denotes.
I know the solution, the answer to the rhetorical question. I will be more like my friend, in that I will chance the pain. She is right, you know. How will I do this? I'll rescue a girl from floating in space and certain death (any takers?), and she'll know how I feel. Hey, it worked for Squall!



My question to you: what's on your mind?

Peace.

4 wisecrack(s):

liNdsEYloO said...

what the hell did this post even SAY?? i got lost and confused and then felt like i'd been through a washing machine of Final Fantasy and edward scissor hands.
the end.

Anonymous said...

Jason,
There is a fourth option: don't wait until you are completely attached, take someone out and see if it develops. Maybe nothing will happen, but you won't have to spend three years getting over minor interest. And I mean minor as insignificant, not juvenile.
Take it easy,
Nemo

Chess said...

What's on my mind? Jason's blog post... and which option I would choose. Haven't gotten that far. Will let you know when I decide. Very thought-provoking though....said thoughts go a bit like this: ........... :)

Sam said...

Remember your post "What would you do if you weren't afraid?" Well, my friend, what would YOU do if you weren't afraid? In the words of one my favorite songs, "Sink or swim, you gotta give it a whirl!"

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall