15 June 2009

What Would You Do?

Here it is, folks. My 100th post. In celebration of such a memorable event, I would ask my readers to open their minds and think.


Yesterday in a church meeting (yes, I AM a religious person), a speaker made reference to the book Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, M.D. A summary of the book can be found by clicking once on the title of the book. In the book, Dr. Johnson asks the question (a question you must ask yourself): What would I do if I wasn't afraid? This question was posed to me (and the rest of the congregation, those paying attention as well as those that weren't) at approximately 9:43 a.m. yesterday morning, and I've been asking myself this question repetitively ad nauseam since then. I have managed come up with a few answers that I will publicly announce, but only because this is the 100th episode.

So, what would I do if I wasn't afraid? First and foremost, I would learn how to wakeboard. OK, I know how to wakeboard, but I would really learn how, you know, to do a 360 backflip indy grab, or something else with an even more impressive name. The problem is fear, not skill or agility. I'm both skilled and agile.

Next, I would set much more focus on becoming a photographer, like the guy that comes up if you google Jason Bell Photography. Or maybe like Seth, who is the most talented photographer I actually know, and can most likely rival some of the best. But I don't want to just do this on the side. I want to be a photographer, by profession, by name and by association. Alas, there is a dagger called fear that is stabbing its way into my brain, impeding me from pursuing my dream.

I would also like to pursue something in music. Get a recording studio. Write some music. Learn how to play the guitar, drums, etc. and record some music. Or have bands come over to record their stuff. It would be cool to be known as Leon the photographer AND musician AND record...ician...

I would force myself away from what I know, what's comfortable, what's safe, enabling me to grow. I may have to do this, if everything goes well in my interview next Monday (at the University of Wisconsin). But for some reason, I want to stay where it's safe. Utah. Everything I know is there. My life, my friends,.... I acted all tough as school came to an end, saying, "I hate Utah and everything about it," and "I can't wait to get out of here and start anew." Loud bark. When it came down to it, I had a very hard time leaving (you didn't see me break down as I got in my truck and left), and would do anything to get back. Small bite.

The cardinality of the set of things I've wanted to say to people over the years is aleph-not. Mostly good things. Anyone who knows anything about set theory knows this is a VERY large quantity. And I don't do it. It's fear, I tell ya. It gets in the way of what could truly make me happy, yet also has the potential to cause serious devastation. Is it worth it?

To celebrate my 100th post, I will make this promise. I will change, or do my very best to do so, one of these items here, or maybe one that I haven't announced to the public. And I pose the question to you, along with a challenge to act, in celebration my 100th post or in order to change your own life for the better: what would you do if you weren't afraid?

Peace.

6 wisecrack(s):

Haley said...

Your posed question has caused my already unsettled soul to become even less settled. Thanks.

...No really. Thanks.

jill said...

hmmm that is a good question. Thanks for making me think.

garrett said...

I'd become a professional whistler. I'm getting pretty good at it, you know...

I like this post. My 100th came and went without celebration. Way to keep up with things. And if the thing you do is going away to Wisconsin, please stay in touch! And I don't mean that in the most sincere way, not the comment-on-my-facebook-status-now-and-again way. Really, man. Good luck with your duel with fear.

Levi Dean said...

No fear and you wouldn't even confess your feeling to all the girls you have crushes on? Shame on you, for still playing it safe.

Colette said...

Hey, if you move to WI you'll have at least one friend!

Anonymous said...

What is there to say? You never cease to amaze me and usually prick my brain. What would I do if I wasn't afraid?... I would do something as simple as opening my heart to those around me instead of closing it off so I don't become close and lose them (From past experience and no it wasn't a boyfriend or even just a friend). I would, on a larger scale, write/edit books and edit photography, and possibly embrace my feminine side and really learn how to gourmet cook and bake along with sewing and quilting. Those are just a few...

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall