13 October 2008

Magicks and Musicks.

Well, it's been awhile, friends...given that you are my friends...given that anyone actually reads this thing.  I went to the independent music club (of USU) concert this past Saturday, and what an inspiring night.  I will now proceed to discuss said event.


There were three bands.  The first was my favorite.  Just a chick up on stage playing her guitar.  Her name is Libbie Linton, a local of Cache Valley, and a super good musician with mad guitar skills.  I bought her EP and I've been listening to it ever since.  'Member up there when I said the concert was an inspiring event?  Every time I go to a concert, like Bruce Moulton, or the one on Saturday, it gives me extra motivation to go home and practice the guitar even more every day and maybe gives a little inspiration to write a song or two.  Keep in mind, I'm not making any promises.  I'm a sucky lyricist, thus I refrain from lyricizing unless I'm truly inspired.

The second band was terrible.  I don't even remember, nor do I care to recall, their name.  All the guy did was whine and cry about how hard his life is in Lindon, UT.  Boo hoo.  I'd rather get kicked in the face nine times than listen to that band ever again.

Then Joshua James played.  I want to call him Jimmy, just because of the closeness that I now feel with the band.  It just wouldn't be appropriate.  To say that this guy and his band were good would be like saying that Jason Bell is good looking.  A complete and utter (not to be redundant) understatement.  If one hasn't looked this guy up, it would sure be worth it for one to do so.

The first part of the concert, when Libbie performed, everyone was sitting down, not unlike story time in kindergarten.  It seemed so personal and made the experience delightful.  During the second performer--which I disliked, mind--everyone was talking and laughing: you know, just having an H-ing-hell-of-a-time.  Now even though I thought they were terrible, I didn't think it right to be rude and inconsiderate while they were performing.  Someone finally yelled, "SHUT UP!" which put an end to the talking for the rest of the evening...except for one small group of people.

Two guys and two girls were huddled near the back of the room talking the entire time that Josh and his band played.  It amazes me how anyone can be so inconsiderate as were these A-holes.  I yelled at them (kindly) a couple of times to be quiet, but only in vain.  They would not have it.  In their mind, it was rude of everyone else to stare daggers at them and mumble curses under their breath while walking past.  Some of you may think I'm exaggerating slightly, or that I was out of line at the concert, but I'll have you know, I'm not!  These guys would talk louder as the music volume increased, and didn't quiet their voices much during the slow, calm songs.  It is indeed very probable that they ruined Josh's entire performance for me, though listening to him now changes my opinion of him entirely (not that it was a bad opinion--it clearly wasn't).  He's incredible.

During this portion of the concert, some strange looking dude clumsily stumbles past me, clearly struggling, leaves the room and falls on the ground.  I was in a bad mood, and I had the idea in my head that everyone else in the room was inconsiderate and A-holy, ergo this guy was just being dumb--in my mind.  Micah, on the other hand, looks over, gets up and runs out to see if the guy was OK.  He just looked up at Micah and [insert adverb] exlaims, "That's the power of Joshua James!" Indeed!

So it was a pretty fun night.  Now if I could just conjure up the courage, an infinite supply of Diet Dr. Pepper, and 4-times more time than it took to complete my 72-hour Stat 6710 take-home exam, I may use the inspiration and motivation for good and write a song!  Peace.

6 wisecrack(s):

garrett said...

JASON!! I Love that Libbie Linton!!! She sings the coolest version of Erasure's "Give A Little Respect" ever.

post script: I haven't even read the rest of this post... I just needed to say that right away. I'll get to the rest of it and get back to you.

Leon said...

Yeah man, she is freaking incredible. I am signed up to be on her mailing list for when she releases a new one. Can't wait!!!

kristin brown said...

I'm glad you finally posted something new. :) Oh and the second band (RuRu) was not terrible. I thought they were pretty good--but I can't say for sure because I can't remember anything that happened in my life BEFORE Joshua James began to sing.

Haley said...

I just wanted you to know that I had a hood day two days ago and only you would understand. So hey.

Chess said...

I just read about the Independent Music Club in the Statesman today. Had no idea it existed. Sounds like the concert was cool though. I listened to Joshua James for a little bit. I enjoyed it muchly! :)

Emily said...

Jason! I am glad that I found your blog! Sounds like I need to find this Libbie Linton. I seriously hate it when people talk during performances. So just a question do you always drink dr. pepper?

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall