23 November 2010

Da Coolest

I went to Washington D.C. this past week. O! what a week. Laughter, smiles, new friends, old friends, new enemies, covetous feelings, tears, rejection, beauty, and I could go on. So allow me, as if you had a choice, to take you on a photo tour of our nation's capital. Pictures.

First off, a picture of yours truly with a truly spectacular stache in the Air and Space museum. Remember how I said I made new friends before? Well one of them took this photo. Why, you ask? In her own words, "You seem like the lying type. So you should probably be in the picture if you want anyone to believe you were actually here." That's a lie.


And then we went to another part of that museum where there was this sweet infrared camera you could stand in front of.



It's always night in the District, except when I took this picture. I must have tripped on a rock as I pushed the button with my index finger that releases the shutter. Or maybe I purposely took the photo like this. Gosh!


I just really liked that people have learned how to carve words into marble. It has nothing to do with what it says.


My sister loves elephants. No, I didn't say "pink elephants." These jokes are getting lame. I'm done. Oh, this was in the American History museum, where I also saw Dorothy's red slippers and Julia Child's kitchen. No photos.


And then at the gift shop, we found some relevant souvenirs.


D.C. has 2 places to eat. You can go to a bar or a cool pizza place where they cook pizzas in a stone oven. They also serve lentil and ham soup, which is delightful. Also these were embedded into the table.




Also shadows.


Remember how I said it's always night in D.C.?








Many people don't believe me, or even care, but Abraham Lincoln suffered from depression. This was kind of a fun shot. Heaps of people were taking photos with their flash turned on, so I turned mine off and just lengthened the exposure time.


Some people can't keep their eyes open. Some people have a cool mustache.


Melly and I went to the market for breakfast. The Eastern Market. It's at the Eastern Market metro stop. You scale the stairs out of the metro, head that one direction, and if it's a Saturday, they have this cool farmer's market and, well, it's superb. This place is famous (back to the Eastern Market) for their blueberry-buckwheat pancakes. While we were in the infinitely long line (because this place is so good (!)), we were greeted by the owner. This gentlemen. We talked about family, Utah, food, you name it. What a guy!


Of course, there are only 3 things to do while visiting the District. You can either 1) eat bar food, pizza, or delicious bluebuck pancakes, 2) visit the Smithsonian museums and other monuments at night, and 3) dress up like characters from the hit book series, Harry Potter. Can you guess who I am? Prolly not. Can you guess who Melly is??!


Note, I had to teach her how to act mystical.


End of line.

8 wisecrack(s):

Colette said...

First of all, I am glad that I got to see you in DC - even if that was not a highlight of your trip. Second, you took a lot of really cool pictures. Third, is that the Matchbox restaurant? I went there with Evan from my office and LOVED it!

Peeser said...

Um, do you just really need others to validate your "stache"? Is that why you obsess over it so much?

And I'm guessing you're supposed to be Remus Lupin, since only he, Dumbledore, and Flitwick sport such facial hair, and since you are not short enough to be Flitwick nor bearded enough to be Dumbledore, by using my powers of deduction, I have concluded that you are Lupin. Yeah, I know I'm right. Now, where's my prize?


(Okay, okay- you're Lupin and your friend is Sybil Trelawney. NOW can I get my prize??)

Leon said...

You were in there, Colie. I said "old friends!" And thanks for the compliment!

You win, Elise. You always do! Or at least this time. Prize to be given on Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll bring you some corn or something.

Anonymous said...

You're Remus Lupin, friend of James Potter, wearwolf and one year professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts. Your friend is Sibyll Patricia Trelawney, the Divination professor at Hogwarts. Nice work! I'm impressed with your look-alike-ness. Love the night pics of DC also!

Peeser said...

Much as I love corn, that doesn't count, since you were going to bring it anyway. Nice try.
(Not that I'm NOT looking forward to corn- it's still my favorite!)

(And I thought Tamara always wins... at least, that's what my brother says. But it's nice to know I can occasionally oust her from the winning spot! :)

Unknown said...

The infrared camera proves the 'stache is very cool.

Tamara said...

soooooooo....even though I wasn't FIRST to post a comment, I can still get my guess in there, and THUSLY, I am a winner in my book (take THAT, Elise)!!!

Profe Lupin. There. I said it. Now where's MY prize? ;/

Spratt said...

Great post! I have never before seen such a wondrous display of expert moustachery. You do our nation proud.

My favorite part of the post is the very last line. Are you excited for Tron Legacy? I know I am!

 

  © 2009 Resplendent Sunrise and Blissful Waves

True Contemplation Blogger Template by M Shodiq Mustika Edited by Squall